Dental Revision: Day 4

Last Appointment with Dr. Lagos

Last Appointment with Dr. Lagos

Today was my fourth and last dental revision appointment. I was to leave for San Diego by car right afterwards. Dr. Lagos checked my partials, made some adjustments for a better fit, and we chatted about how to care for my mouth over the coming months. It would take 3-6 months to heal – for bone and gums to grow back in and be healthy and pink. After 6 months I was to return for the permanent partials.

There was to be no jumping during this healing phase. I jokingly asked if I could exercise on my trampoline. He replied that he actually had a patient who, after 6 months of oral healing, had jumped on a trampoline and opened her blood clots, causing infection. But I think he said her immunity was low. He gets lots of patients like that. Still, I won’t trampoline.

He also surprised me by saying that I’d need to blend my food for a whole month. That’s a long time to blend your food! Also, to eat lots of salt. Preferably Morton’s canning and pickling salt as Dr. Hal Huggins insists on. Salt will heal my bone. Also beneficial will be Vitamin C, enzymes, garlic, colostrum, goldenseal. Soak partials at night in salt water with a few drops of iodine. Rinse mouth after eating so no food decays under partials.

Dr. Lagos and Me

Dr. Lagos and Me; Yes those are magnets taped to my face

My attractive black (he said purple) blood clots are covering all of my sockets, just like they should be. These fake teeth still feel pretty fake, but I was assured they would feel less and less cumbersome.

So now, at age 42, I finally really don’t have any metal in my mouth. Not even any trace amounts, which is what you have with the white composites. The BioComp test is what showed my dentist which materials were the safest for me.

Now for the fun part. Pictures of the three infected teeth that he pulled out. Out of the three teeth, two came out in pieces, and that is how he was able to see that the inside nerve chambers were dry. In other words, the teeth were dead. The black tips on the root apexes are also how he confirmed what he had seen on the panoramic xray – infection. The rest of the dark discoloration is the result of exposure to air. He also said that the abscesses shrink when in the preservative because the teeth dehydrate and shrink when they’re out of the body.

I can’t believe these were once inside me. Not because they look gross, but because they are so big. It’s quite a feat to get things like this out of the body! I must be quite courageous.

My three teeth preserved in some 10% formol

My three teeth preserved in some 10% formol

Tooth #14 came out in two pieces, #21 as a whole

Tooth #14 came out in two pieces, #21 as a whole

Tooth #3 in three pieces

Tooth #3 in three pieces

Crowns that came out; one was in bad shape; all had metal

Crowns that came out; one was in bad shape (and may I say still smells awful); all had metal

Panoramic Xray; Infections Circled

Panoramic Xray; Infections Circled

So for now, my Dental Revision Adventure in Mexico is over. My mouth is feeling a bit more normal, my digestion thanks me for my blended meals, and I am happy that another piece of the puzzle has been put in place. I can confidently say that there is no more hidden infection and no more traces of metal lurking in the darkness of my mouth.

Have you had similar work done? If so, let us know how it went for you.

Thanks for reading.

Dental Revision Day 1

Dental Revision Day 2

Dental Revision Day 3

EDIT: 9.1.14

I just heard back from Linda, with whom I did a health consult a few months back. She has great news to report re: her dental revision with Dr. Lagos, I am happy to say. Here is what she wrote me:

Hi Amanda,
Hope you are doing well this morning. Just wanted to follow up since our conversation awhile back. I went to Mexico this week for the first part of my dental revision with Dr. Lagos. I had four root canals and one implant removed, as well as several cavitation treatments. Dr. Lagos and his staff took very good care of me. Considering the extent of my procedure, the discomfort was minimal and the results are quite remarkable. My sockets are healing well. I left the magnets on all the time and followed instructions carefully. I do believe the intravenous vitamin c was very beneficial as well. In case any others are interested in doing a revision I thought it might be helpful to share my positive experience.

I stayed at Casa Farolito. The walks on that beautiful beach and taking in the fresh sea air was so therapeutic. I think that was a factor in my healing as well.

Thank you for your support and encouragement.

Best wishes to you Amanda,
Linda

Related Posts:

Dental Materials and Electrodermal Screening

Tags: ,

9 Responses to Dental Revision: Day 4

1. Dennis says:

I had two Lava crowns cemented by a dentist that said everyone tests well for Lava crowns. They say that Lava crowns and zirconia are inert but I’m having galvanic currents from the Lava crowns and other metals in my mouth,got to get the Lava crowns off . What are diamond crowns made off?

Biocomp Labs showed that I’m highly reactive to aluminum, copper, zinc acetate, zirconium, mercury and some others. In 2012, my bridge was made of a LAVA manufactured material, and as you know, Lava has zirconium in it. Diamond did not test well for me, though I read it tests well for many. Here’s a link to read more: http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/dentalnetwork/dental-material-lists/metal-free-dentistry-diamond-lite/

• Dennis says:

Hello Amanda
        What crowns did you test well for? When you had treatment in Mexico what kind of crowns did you have cemented.

Hi Dennis,

Dr. Lagos in Mexico removed my porcelain crowns, and put on Protemp II temporary crowns. Had I revisited him for the permanent crowns, he was going to use Diamond crown, which showed up under Indirect Composite on my BioComp list. Believe it or not, it took almost two years until these temp crowns fell off, and I saw another IAOMT dentist who did the Cliffords test on me, and zirconia crowns proved safe, so that’s what are going on next week.

2. Barb C says:

Amanda,
    I am a cancer patient and my Biocomp test is almost identical to yours. Biocomp seems to allow a lot of plastics. I am wondering why you did not go with Diamond Crown? Plastics burn my mouth and eyes. If you did not trust what Clifford testing said about the aluminum, why did you trust him again and go with zirconia? See my Biocomp says what yours says about highly reactive to Al. But I am least reactive to silica so I am thinking about going with a Cerec aluminum silicate type crown. Please comment as I have been spending my life trying to figure out the best solution for my situation. It has been very difficult. Please could you answer the above questions for me. I would be so grateful as a cancer patient. (ps,,the breast cancer is fueled by estrogen so plastics really concern me. Thank you very much Amanda.

Barb C

Hi Barb, Thanks for your comment. I’d like to reply to this thoughtfully but won’t be able to for a few days. Will write in a little bit. Number one thing – deep breath, it will be okay. I know how easy it is to get caught up with worry. I will write in a few and thanks again.

Hi Barb. I am so sorry it took me so long to reply. I wish I could with confidence tell you how to proceed but I know now that it is up to each of us to follow her path, even it means making mistakes along the way. That may sound like a cop out but what I mean is this: Do research, take a deep breath, feel what feels like the right thing to do, and then move forward. I say this because I don’t think we know all the answers, so if we take our best shot at making decisions as well as we can, then the Universe recognizes the spirit in which that decision is made, and we are not punished on the road of life. I have no idea if I or my dentist picked the best materials for my mouth, but I do know that I didn’t want mercury, and I did know how to read online to learn more about the subject, and this is far more than many do. I try my best and then let go of the results.

Have you done a MELISA test? That might be helpful.

I know you can get to a healthy place! I’m sure you’ve done much work thus far. Go with what feels right, and know you are in good hands. Please keep us posted on your progress!

3. Amy says:

Hello Amanda,
    Thank you so much for blogging about your experience with Dr Lagos. I am facing the removal of two root canal teeth and four wisdom tooth cavitations. Plus, I need some old white fillings replaced. I have a choice to have my dental work done by Dr Lagos in Tijuana or by a biological dentist in my own town in Texas. Dr Lagos is about a third of the price of my local dentist. Looking back, would you still recommend Dr Lagos and the work he did? Have you had any regrets?
    Was he in Tijuana when you had your work done?
    Thank you for your time. I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.
    Amy W

I think you just have to feel whatever feels right to you and makes sense. Do the research, take a breath, and go with what feels like the right path. Do I wish I had those three teeth back? Sometimes! Do I believe that Dr. Lagos was right in taking infected teeth out that, in his experienced mind, needed to come out? I just needed to do what I needed to do at the time, and then move on, you know? But it wasn’t an easy decision! But I do like him. Yes he was in Tijuana when I went to him. I’d go with the dentist you feel best about. Let us know how you do!